- Promise Road Elementary
Winter Weather & eLearning
Noblesville Schools has a comprehensive plan that is executed every time there is a consideration of a school delay or eLearning day due to weather conditions.
We understand that our decision affects families and staff in a variety of ways. With that in mind, we are sharing the following information about the decision-making process.
- Superintendent Niedermeyer and her team drive the roads early in the morning in Noblesville to assess safety
- The team communicates their findings with one another
- Superintendent Niedermeyer makes a decision to delay or cancel based on the information from the team
While everyone may not agree with the decision made, we wanted to share some of the rationale that is considered.
Typically, decisions to delay school are based on factors such as:
- Allowing more time for road crews to clear roads and for our staff to clear driveways, sidewalks, and parking lots
- Waiting for daylight to help buses and cars see students standing in roads if bus stops are not cleared from snow
- Giving buses more time to warm up and deal with any mechanical issues that may arise due to cold temperatures
- Checking the accuracy of weather forecasts because they do not always materialize as originally predicted
- In some cases, a couple of hours can make a difference with temperatures warming
Typically, decisions to use an eLearning day for inclement weather are based on factors such as:
- Roads being unpassable
- Buses not running
- County/state weather emergencies or road closures
Teachers will be available and support will be provided on eLearning for inclement weather days for students/parents. Parents can access the eLearning Technology Guidebook or call 317-773-2130 for technical assistance on eLearning days.
Please reference these frequently asked questions to learn more about how eLearning for inclement weather will work.
While school closures will no longer be the norm for inclement weather, please note that a school closure may still occur in the event of an unanticipated weather system that does not provide adequate time for teachers to prepare eLearning curriculum.
Parents often ask why delays and eLearning announcements are typically called in the morning (and sometimes at the last minute) instead of the night before. While we realize this timing can be more challenging for some parents, our top priority is for school to be in session as long as it's safe to do so. Most often there is a need to study forecasts, drive roads, and assess conditions in the early morning as weather and road conditions change frequently.
We also use the National Weather Service wind chill chart to study temperatures/wind chills and length of time allowed outside before frostbite is a risk. On extremely cold days, outdoor recesses and activities may be cancelled even if school is in session.
Notifications regarding weather delays, eLearning days and closings for Noblesville Schools will be communicated through the following means:
- Parent/staff email through the email address on file
- Parent/staff phone call through the phone number on file
- Parent/staff text through the cell phone number on file
- Noblesville Schools Facebook page
- Noblesville Schools Twitter page
- Local TV media outlets
We advise all parents and staff to provide current contact information to your school office. The messenger communication system is also used in the case of emergencies.