The Noblesville Schools Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Noblesville Schools Mission and Committments
Noblesville Schools creates an inclusive, learner-centered culture that develops future-ready skills through relevant experiences supported by strong relationships that celebrate diversity and promote equity among students, staff, parents, and the community.
Noblesville Schools is committed to:
- Teaching students to think critically, engage in dialogue, listen, consider multiple perspectives, use their voice, and value the humanity of others
- Promoting equity, access, participation, and honoring the rights of all students, staff and families through our policies, procedures, and practices
- Responding to and meeting the unique needs of students, staff and families
- Cultivating trust, valuing dignity, empathy, and respect for students, staff, and families through words and actions
- Engaging in ongoing, relevant, equity-centered professional development to create more equitable opportunities for all
- Recruiting, supporting, retaining, and continually developing a racially conscious and culturally competent staff
- Eliminating systemic and interpersonal inequity
Educate, Respect, Support
We’re a diverse school community and through our diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives, we’re actively fostering an environment where all students and staff are educated, respected and supported.
We embrace a broad definition of diversity including race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, transgender status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, socioeconomic status, disability, immutable physical appearance (weight, scars, deformity), age, religion, military status, ancestry and genetic information. Additionally, we place a high value on accepting and encouraging different skills, perspectives, interests and pathways.
It’s our goal that all students and staff feel safe, heard and valued. Taking time to listen to both students and staff gives us insight into what we can do to make our environments more inclusive.
Recent Diversity/Equity/Inclusion (DEI) Initiatives
- Reviewing our curriculum across the district to ensure materials we use with students reflect multiple perspectives.
- Enhancing recruiting practices with the goal of increasing the diversity of the candidates we consider for hire.
- Enhancing retention practices to help maintain and grow diverse staff.
- Training all principals and district leaders on implicit bias and racial equity.We continuously educate and increase awareness on these important topics for all staff members.
- Providing academic, communication, social and cultural supports for English language learner students and their families who represent over 50 different languages spoken in Noblesville homes.
- Establishing DEI teams at schools to create environments where all students, staff, and families feel supported, valued, and heard.
- Creating learning opportunities and partnerships with outside organizations to increase student awareness of post-secondary options.
- Connecting with students at NHS who are interested in creating student-led clubs.
- Launching a Noblesville Diversity Coalition student ambassador team at NHS.
- Offering a new social studies elective class at NHS specifically aimed at showcasing different voices and viewpoints in US history and culture.
- Promoting visible, inspirational DEI messaging in our buildings.
- Establishing an equity & inclusion coach position to advance district diversity efforts.
- Integrating DEI into our practices, procedures, and policies as a school district.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Noblesville Schools
In May 2021 Superintendent Dr. Beth Niedermeyer addressed the subject of diversity, equity and inclusion at Noblesville Schools in a series of community meetings. Meeting participants listened to a presentation by Dr. Niedermeyer and then shared questions in small groups. The district will provide responses to the submitted questions in the summer of 2021.
VIDEO Superintendent Dr. Beth Niedermeyer presents on what diversity, equity and inclusion means at Noblesville Schools and answers some frequently asked questions.
HIGHLIGHTS Handout of highlights from Dr. Niedermeyer's presentation.
COMMUNITY Q&As Diversity/Equity/Inclusion related questions submitted by the public and answered by Noblesville Schools
Noblesville Schools Director of Equity & Inclusion Shelley Bethel