The Noblesville Schools Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Noblesville Schools Mission
Noblesville Schools creates an inclusive, learner-centered culture that develops future-ready skills through relevant experiences supported by strong relationships that celebrate diversity and promote equity among students, staff, parents, and the community.
Support, Respect, Celebrate
We’re a diverse school community and through our diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives, we’re actively fostering an environment where all students and staff are supported, respected and celebrated.
We embrace a broad definition of diversity including race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, transgender status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, socioeconomic status, disability, immutable physical appearance (weight, scars, deformity), age, religion, military status, ancestry and genetic information. Additionally, we place a high value on accepting and encouraging different skills, perspectives, interests and pathways.
It’s our goal that all students and staff feel safe, heard and valued. Taking time to listen to both students and staff gives us insight into what we can do to make our environments more inclusive.
Recent Diversity/Equity/Inclusion Initiatives
- Training all principals and district leaders on implicit bias and racial equity. We’re in the process now of educating and raising awareness on these important topics for all staff members.
- Creating a new equity & inclusion coach position to advance district diversity efforts.
- Connecting with students of color at NHS who are interested in an opportunity to reflect on and discuss challenges they may be experiencing.
- Enhancing staff recruiting practices with the goal of increasing the diversity of the candidates we consider for hire.
- Reviewing our curriculum across the district to ensure materials we use with students reflect multiple perspectives.
- Launching a Noblesville Diversity Coalition student ambassador team at NHS.
- Offering a new social studies class at NHS specifically aimed at showcasing different voices and viewpoints in US history and culture.
- Providing academic, communication, social and cultural supports for English language learner students and their families who represent over 50 different languages spoken in Noblesville homes.
- Promoting visible, inspirational diversity/equity/inclusion messaging in our buildings.
- Forming staff diversity committees at each school to lead culture changes in buildings
District Equity and Inclusion Coach- Shelley Bethel
Noblesville High School- Janae Mobley
Noblesville East Middle School- Andrea Lee
Noblesville West Middle School- Ara Nelson-Mercer
Hinkle Creek Elementary- Katherine Reed
Hazel Dell Elementary- Karen Carter
Noble Crossing Elementary- Pat Haney
North Elementary- Angie Gingerich
Stony Creek Elementary- Heidi Karst
White River Elementary- Calie Vandermark
Promise Road Elementary- Stephen Blackburn
Noblesville Diversity Coalition
We’re proud founding members of the Noblesville Diversity Coalition (NDC), in collaboration with the City of Noblesville and faith, business and community leaders.
We encourage community members to help support and grow diversity, equity and inclusion efforts by engaging with the Noblesville Diversity Coalition and the regular learning opportunities and events they offer.
We've gathered some additional resources for promoting diversity if you'd like to learn more. If you have resources you'd like to suggest, please contact our Director of Learning Jen Townsend at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tips and Resources