The Noblesville Schools Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Noblesville Schools Mission and Committments
Noblesville Schools creates an inclusive, learner-centered culture that develops future-ready skills through relevant experiences supported by strong relationships that celebrate diversity and promote equity among students, staff, parents, and the community.
Noblesville Schools is committed to:
- Teaching students to think critically, engage in dialogue, listen, consider multiple perspectives, use their voice, and value the humanity of others
- Promoting equity, access, participation, and honoring the rights of all students, staff and families through our policies, procedures, and practices
- Responding to and meeting the unique needs of students, staff and families
- Cultivating trust, valuing dignity, empathy, and respect for students, staff, and families through words and actions
- Engaging in ongoing, relevant, equity-centered professional development to create more equitable outcomes for all
- Recruiting, supporting, retaining, and continually developing a racially conscious and culturally competent staff
- Eliminating systemic and interpersonal inequity
Educate, Respect, Support
We’re a diverse school community and through our diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives, we’re actively fostering an environment where all students and staff are educated, respected and supported.
We embrace a broad definition of diversity including race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, transgender status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, socioeconomic status, disability, immutable physical appearance (weight, scars, deformity), age, religion, military status, ancestry and genetic information. Additionally, we place a high value on accepting and encouraging different skills, perspectives, interests and pathways.
It’s our goal that all students and staff feel safe, heard and valued. Taking time to listen to both students and staff gives us insight into what we can do to make our environments more inclusive.
Recent Diversity/Equity/Inclusion (DEI) Initiatives
- Reviewing our curriculum across the district to ensure materials we use with students reflect multiple perspectives.
- Enhancing recruiting practices with the goal of increasing the diversity of the candidates we consider for hire.
- Enhancing retention practices to help maintain and grow diverse staff.
- Training all principals and district leaders on implicit bias and racial equity.We continuously educate and increase awareness on these important topics for all staff members.
- Providing academic, communication, social and cultural supports for English language learner students and their families who represent over 50 different languages spoken in Noblesville homes.
- Establishing DEI teams at schools to create environments where all students, staff, and families feel supported, valued, and heard.
- Creating learning opportunities and partnerships with outside organizations to increase student awareness of post-secondary options.
- Connecting with students at NHS who are interested in creating student-led clubs.
- Launching a Noblesville Diversity Coalition student ambassador team at NHS.
- Offering a new social studies elective class at NHS specifically aimed at showcasing different voices and viewpoints in US history and culture.
- Promoting visible, inspirational DEI messaging in our buildings.
- Establishing an equity & inclusion coach position to advance district diversity efforts.
- Integrating DEI into our practices, procedures, and policies as a school district.
Noblesville Diversity Coalition
We’re proud founding members of the Noblesville Diversity Coalition (NDC), in collaboration with the City of Noblesville and faith, business and community leaders.
We encourage community members to help support and grow diversity, equity and inclusion efforts by engaging with the Noblesville Diversity Coalition and the regular learning opportunities and events they offer.
The following information is provided to parents and community members interested in learning more about diversity, equity, and inclusion, as well the connection between our work and the Indiana Department of Education standards and resources that inform curriculum, teaching, and learning practices in Noblesville Schools. Updates to these resources will be provided regularly as our district continues to respond to the ever-evolving needs of our students and community.
- Talking to Your Child About Race, Cultural Awareness, and Diversity
- Talking About Race (Smithsonian)
- How to Teach Children About Cultural Awareness and Diversity (PBS)
- Noblesville Schools Connections With Indiana Academic State Standards
- Social Studies Standards, Resources, and Community
- Civil Rights and Ethnic Education Resources
- Learning for Justice Social Justice Standards
- This IDOE memo explains how these Social Justice Standards connect to the Indiana Academic Standards and the work of Noblesville Schools.
Noblesville Schools District Equity and Inclusion Coach Shelley Bethel