Alternative PE Credit Classes of 2020-2023
Students in the classes of 2020-2023 participating in an eligible program will be automatically considered in the evaluation and awarding of Alternative PE credit. Students and parents should make sure to carefully review the program requirements.The Indiana State Board of Education has granted local school districts the flexibility of awarding students Physical Education credit that demonstrate proficiency through alternative means. Students who demonstrate mastery of the Indiana Academic Standards for PE, as documented by a coach, sponsor, or director, may be eligible for alternative PE credit.Program Requirements:
- Alternative PE Credits must be earned prior to a student’s senior year.
- One PE credit will be awarded for a complete season of a Noblesville High School sponsored IHSAA sport or school sanctioned sport approved by administration, lacrosse, cheerleading, dance, guard, marching band and competitive show choir (Sensations, New Dimension, Singers). A total of 2 credits, earned over two complete seasons, can be earned at NHS.
- A complete season is defined as first practice to final event. The student must remain on the active roster the entire season or the duration of the activity.
- The student will participate regularly in physical activity, demonstrated by participation in over 90% of group activities (injury free), or 66% due to major injury (NHS athletic trainer or physician signature required).
- Disciplinary suspensions from the activity may result in forfeiture of credit as determined by the coach, director, or sponsor.
- Since credits will be earned based on mastery of the physical education standards, coaches, directors, and sponsors may choose to work with the student beyond the season until the standards are met.
- At the conclusion of the season or activity, the coach, director, or sponsor will submit a roster of eligible students to the guidance office.
- Once successful participation has been confirmed a credit will be placed on the student’s transcript as a semester grade. A grade of A will be awarded to all students who meet the requirements for the alternative credit.