Certificate of Multilingual Proficiency
Overview of CoMP
In 2016, Indiana passed legislation that will recognize students for their achievement in becoming bilingual and bi-literate. Beginning in 2017, students who meet specific criteria can graduate from high school with the “Certificate of Multilingual Proficiency” which will designate on the student's transcript that they have attained a high level of proficiency, sufficient for meaningful use in college and a career, in one or more languages in addition to English.
- Formal validation of an Intermediate High level of proficiency that benefits both world language and English Language Learner students.
- For university-bound students, the Certificate will be noted on a student’s transcript.
- Serves students entering the workforce as a confirmation of their linguistic skill set.
How does a student qualify?
- Earn 8 credits in English/Language Arts
- Pass the English/Language Arts Grade 10 ISTEP Exam
- Earn 6 credits in a Single World Language OR Pass an approved external assessment in a World Language at an Intermediate High level of Proficiency (ALTA exam or AP exam)
- Contact your guidance counselor or Miss Plahm