Senior Flex Schedule
Goals and Purpose: We encourage students to take a rigorous schedule of courses during their senior year. All current research indicates that a student who does so is more successful at the college and university level. We also encourage seniors to prepare themselves beyond the academic challenges coming in their post-secondary school lives. One of the greatest of these challenges for high school seniors is handling new freedoms and choices open to them after graduation.
To help seniors at Noblesville High School prepare for the next stage of their lives, seniors have the option to experience some of this flexibility while still in the supportive environment of the high school setting. Seniors who take a rigorous schedule—equivalent to a full semester of college credit—will be given the option of reducing their course load by 1 to 3 classes. During the flex periods, seniors will make choices about the use of discretionary time, but they will be required to maintain academic proficiency, follow established procedures, and manage their flex time well.
If students choose to stay on school grounds during flex times, they have the option to use the Media Center or another supervised area of the school. If they leave the school grounds, they must check in and out according to the established procedures.
To Qualify for Senior Flex Schedule:
- Student must be on track to graduate on time with a Core 40, AHD, or THD and have 40 credits at the completion of grade 11.
- Student must take four or more in-house Noblesville High School flex qualified courses. Qualified courses = AP courses, Dual-Credit courses, PLTW Capstone Courses, PLTW Dual Credit Courses, NHS Internship Program (only counts as one course regardless of the number of credits earned).
- Student must maintain academic proficiency in the qualified courses. Failure to maintain a C or higher on semester grade checks in all courses will result in the loss of Flex 12.
- Student must follow all school policies and procedures, including timely completion of the required College and Career Readiness activities, or risk forfeit of this privilege. (See below)
- Student must be enrolled in random drug testing.
- Student must be in and remain in good standing.
- Parents must sign an agreement allowing the student on a flex schedule to leave school grounds.
College and Career Readiness RequirementsStudents will be required to submit proof of participating in two (2) of the following activities per semester:
- College and university representative presentations
- College and university visits to campus
- Career Interest Profiler in Naviance
- SAT/prep program on Khahn Academy
- Update or place resume in Naviance
- Workshops for college readiness (Financial Aid Night, College Night, College Applicaiton Bootcamp)
- Seniors interested in a flex schedule should fill out the Intent to Apply form. Please discuss any scheduling questions with your guidance counselor.
- The Noblesville High School master schedule has been developed to accommodate the needs of all students at NHS. Guidance counselors will not change schedules of individual seniors in order to qualify for a flex schedule, nor will counselors consolidate flex periods to allow for late arrival or early dismissal. For example, counselors will NOT: Move a class from first semester to second semester in order to create the flex option or move a class from one period to another period to allow for late arrival, early dismissal, or grouped flex periods.
The Senior Flex Schedule is not required, nor is it a right. Students should work carefully with parents and their guidance counselors to determine if this schedule is in their best interest. School officials may revoke this privilege at any time if the student does not follow school policies or if the student is unable to handle the discretionary time or academic load.