Parents of students in grades 5 and 8 that are assigned a take-home iPad will pay a non-refundable $42.50 per semester ($85.00 per year) charge through the textbook rental system. Parents of students in grades 6, 7, and 9-12 that are assigned a take-home iPad will pay a non-refundable $40 per semester ($80.00 per year) charge through the textbook rental system. Users will comply at all times with the NS Student Technology Handbook policies. Any failure to comply may terminate user rights of possession effective immediately and the district may repossess the iPad. Any lost, stolen and damaged iPads must be reported to school authorities immediately.
Noblesville Schools has legal title to the property at all times. The user’s right of possession and use is limited to and conditioned upon full and complete compliance with this agreement and the NS Student Technology Handbook policies.
Loss, Theft or Damage
Should an iPad be damaged, lost, or stolen the student or parent/guardian should immediately notify the school administration. If an iPad is stolen the student/guardian should file a police report as soon as possible. If the iPad is lost, stolen, or totally damaged as a result of irresponsible behavior, the parent may be responsible for the full replacement cost.
In the event of a lost or stolen iPad and once a police report is filed, the Noblesville School Corporation, in conjunction and with police, may deploy location software which may aid the police in recovering the iPad.
Students who cease to be enrolled in Noblesville Schools must return the iPad, along with any other accessories, at the time they leave the corporation. The iPad and all accessories should be returned to the teacher supervising the iPad Student Support Room. Any fees collected as a part of this initiative will not be refunded.
If the user does not fully comply with all terms of this Agreement and the NS Student Technology Handbook, including the timely return of the property, NS shall be entitled to declare the use in default and come to the user’s place of residence, or other location of the property, to take possession of the property.
Terms of Agreement
The user’s right to use and possession of the property terminates not later than the last day of the school year unless earlier terminated by NS or upon withdrawal from NS.
Failure to timely return the property or the continued use of it for non-school purposes without the District’s consent is considered unlawful appropriation of the District’s property. This may constitute theft, a felony, or conversion, for which parents and students could be liable for three times the cost of the property plus attorney’s fees.
Financial Terms of Mobile Technology Use
Use and Maintenance Fees
Parents of students in grades 5-12 that are assigned a take-home iPad will pay a non-refundable $40 fee each semester through the textbook rental system. Seniors must clear all records and pay all fees before participating in commencement exercises. In addition to the use and maintenance fees, parents of students in grades 5 and 8 (not 6 & 7) will pay a $5 consumable fee for their iPad charging cable.
iPad Costs – for Lost, Stolen or Full-Cost Damage
If the iPad is lost, stolen, or totally damaged as a result of irresponsible behavior, the parent may be responsible for the full replacement cost.
Cost to the district:
- iPad Air (16GB) - $279.00
- iPad 4 (16GB) - $179.00
- iPad 2 (16GB) - $79.00
- Power cord - $12.00
- Power adapters - $29.00
- Case - $30.00
Any damage must be reported to school authorities immediately. At that time school authorities will determine if damage is accidental or due to irresponsible behavior.
- First accidental damage occurrence ($100.00): Student will get a replacement iPad upon payment of the deductible.
- Second accidental damage occurrence: Cost to repair the iPad or fair market value, possible loss of iPad take-home privileges. The replacement iPad will be checked in and out daily during the school day.
- Third accidental damage occurrence: Cost to repair the iPad or fair market value and loss of iPad privileges.
Table of Estimated Repair Pricing for Deductibles
Loss, Deliberate Damage or Neglect Estimated Repair/Replacement Costs
Broken Screen $120.00
Broken LCD $120.00
Power Adapter + Cord $41.00
District Assigned iPad Case $30.00
Broken Headphone Jack $25.00
Mobile Technology Precautions
- Handling and Care of the IPad
- Keep the iPad in the district-issued or approved case.
- Keep iPads and cases free of any writing, drawing, stickers, or labels that are not applied by NS.
- Use the iPad on a flat, stable surface.
- Do not set books on the iPad.
- Do not have food or drinks around the iPad.
- Wipe surfaces with a clean, dry soft cloth.
- Avoid touching the screen with pens or pencils.
- Do not leave the iPad exposed to direct sunlight or near any heat or moisture sources for extended periods of time.
- Find my iPad must be turned on at all times
- It is the user’s responsibility to recharge the iPad’s battery so it is fully charged by the start of the next school day.
- iPads with no battery life must be charged in the Student Support Office. The student forfeits use of the iPad for the entire time it takes to charge the iPad (No passes from class will be issued to pick up an iPad; the iPad may only be picked up during passing periods).
- All class work missed because of uncharged batteries must be made up on students’ own time.
- The iPad must remain on (awake or sleep mode) at school at all times, with no exceptions.
- Transport iPad in its protective case.
- Do not leave the iPad in a vehicle for extended periods of time or overnight.
- Do not leave the iPad in visible sight when left in a vehicle.
Monitoring and Supervision
- Do not leave the iPad unattended in an unlocked classroom or during an extracurricular activity.
- Do not lend the iPad to a classmate, friend, or family member.
- Any attempt to “jailbreak” or remove the NS profile could result in suspension.
- Students are expected to respect the web filter as a safety precaution, and shall not attempt to circumvent the web filter.
- Students are responsible for the safety and security of the iPad and any activity on the device.
- District may disable the iPad remotely to protect the device and/or data on the device.
NOTE: Failure to follow these precautions could result in a student being charged full replacement cost in the event of a lost, stolen or damaged iPad.